Fwd: getInherits(): SELECT failed. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nigel Gilbert
Subject Fwd: getInherits(): SELECT failed.
Date
List pgsql-general
I sent the message below to the list last Thursday and received not
one single reply!  Is there no one who could give me any help? Even
'this is the wrong list, send your query to XXX' would be useful.

Yours in hope,

Nigel Gilbert

>  >From n.gilbert@soc.surrey.ac.uk  Thu Jul 26 23:49:27 2001
>Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:49:46 +0100
>From: Nigel Gilbert <n.gilbert@soc.surrey.ac.uk>
>To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>Subject: getInherits(): SELECT failed.
>
>I have inherited a database apparently set up using postgres7.0.2.
>I now want to dump the database in preparation for tidying up and
>upgrading to the current version of postgresql.  However, pg_dumpall
>gives:
>
>pg_dumpall >db.out
>getInherits(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend: 'ERROR:
>Attribute 'inhrel' not found
>'.
>
>A previous message in this list proposed that this error was
>generated when a version 6 database is dumped using version 7
>software.  I think this is unlikely to be the explanation here (for
>example, psql 7.0.2 reads the database without complaint), but it is
>a possibility.  My questions for the list:
>
>1. How do I find the version numbers of (a) the database and (b) the
>pg_dump code, given that I am not certain about their past history.
>
>2.  More importantly, how do I work around the error, so that I can
>dump the database and move up to version 7.1?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Nigel

Prof Nigel Gilbert, FREng AcSS, Dept. of Sociology, University of Surrey,
  Guildford GU2 7XH, UK.  Tel: +44 (0)1483 259173 Fax: +44 (0)1483 259551